Here are a few quick facts:
- Canada has 12 million volunteers
- They help more than 160,000 organizations in our country
- Their contributions generate $112 billion for the economy
- Over 2 billion hours are donated each year by volunteers
- Volunteers exist in virtually every industry (health care, disaster relief, animal welfare, education, sports, etc)
- Many volunteer to meet new people, develop skills, & better their communities
- Researchers have found that people who volunteer tend to have a lower rate of premature death, & a lower risk of heart disease.