Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Story of Tutu

Sometimes out of nowhere, life gives you a little pick me up when you need it most.

A few months ago we lost Tutu. Her leaving us was a complete shock. It's been hard to deal with to say the least. We lost 3 of our hounds in thirteen months and our remaining grey was diagnosed with bone cancer in the spring.

Each day has its ups & down. And not necessarily in that order. There are days that are more up than down. Others seem like they are just mostly down.

One particular day this week started out poorly. I woke up from a dream in which I was outside playing with the dogs. The knot that I got in the pit of my stomach when I realized only Cruce remains with us, can't be described.

I proceeded downstairs to fill one dish with food. Change the water for one dog. Let one hound out to do doggie business. Bring one hound back in and fluff the bedding for one dog.

It sucks to only have one left with us. Goodness knows how long he will be here. I miss having a house full of greyhounds. Cruce does too. This is the first time in his life that he has been an only dog.

On my way to work, I stopped into the post office.

"Do you still have greyhounds?" asks the cheery woman behind the counter.

I know that I am looking at her with a puzzled look on my face. I'm trying to recognize her. The name tag that she's wearing says, "Elizabeth S".

"Yes, we have one."

Elizabeth S. Elizabeth S. Where do I know her from?

"You and your husband had four of them at one time didn't you?"

"Yes, unfortunately, we lost 3 of them within the last year"

"What a sin. Beautiful dogs. I have a greyhound."

"Really? When did you adopt?"

"Three years ago. It was shortly after I met you and your husband at a greyhound fundraiser. You had Tutu with you. The entire time that I was talking with you, she was glued to me while I pet her. I thought that she was so sweet. You joked that she loved people and would go home with anyone. Everytime that I talk to new people about greyhounds, I always tell the story of Tutu and how she convinced me to get a greyhound."

"Tutu would be so proud of herself! Say "hi" to your hound for me" I say as I turn to leave.

I smile to myself all the way to work.

Losing something that you love is never easy. But knowing that my dogs have helped other greys find homes and have a special place in someone else's memory makes it a little easier.

Thank you Elizabeth S.










No comments: